Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is another recipe from our church's +25 year old cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups Corn Chex, crushed
- 1 egg, separated
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, cleaned
- oil (for frying)
- Thoroughly mix flour, salt, baking powder and pepper.
- Beat egg yolk and milk together.
- Blend in the dry ingredients.
- Beat egg white until foamy, add sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.
- Fold into milk mixture.
- Dip mushrooms in batter.
- Roll in Chex cereal crumbs.
- Drop in a few at a time into deep, hot oil (385 degrees).
- Fry until golden brown, turning once.