I made this today and was delighted with the great flavour and the ease of this recipe. But what I loved MOST was that my kids, notoriously fickle fish eaters, gobbled it down. Definitely a keeper. Adapted from a Bon Appetit recipe, April, 1991.
Fish and Batter
- 1 lb sea bass fillet, cut into 3/4 inch wide slices
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 can pineapple chunks in juice (totalling 1 cup juice)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 4 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Toss fish pieces with 2 tablespoons cornstarch in medium bowl to coat.
- Mix flour, 3 tablespoons oil, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in small bowl.
- gradually add water, whisking until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter over fish and stir to coat.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Whisk remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch, pineapple juice, sugar, vinegar, hot pepper sauce and 1/8 teaspoon salt in small bowl to blend.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add ginger and lemon peel and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds, remove and discard garlic clove.
- Add bell pepper and stir-fry just to heat through, about 30 seconds.
- Add pineapple juice mixture and pineapple chunks and cook until sauce is thick and clear, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
- Heat 4 cups oil in wok or deep medium saucepan to 375°F.
- Add batter-coated fish pieces to oil in batches and fry until crisp and golden, about 4 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer fish to paper towel-lined dish and drain.
- Reheat oil if necessary between batches.
- Arrange fish on platter.
- Reheat sauce briefly, spoon over fish and serve.