1/1 Photo of Crispy Fish with Sweet and Sour Sauce
I made this today and was delighted with the great flavour and the ease of this recipe. But what I loved MOST was that my kids, notoriously fickle fish eaters, gobbled it down. Definitely a keeper. Adapted from a Bon Appetit recipe, April, 1991.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Fish and Batter
- 1 lb sea bass fillet, cut into 3/4 inch wide slices
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 can pineapple chunks in juice (totalling 1 cup juice)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 4 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1Toss fish pieces with 2 tablespoons cornstarch in medium bowl to coat.
- 2Mix flour, 3 tablespoons oil, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in small bowl.
- 3gradually add water, whisking until batter is smooth.
- 4Pour batter over fish and stir to coat.
- 5Let stand 15 minutes.
- 6Whisk remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch, pineapple juice, sugar, vinegar, hot pepper sauce and 1/8 teaspoon salt in small bowl to blend.
- 7Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- 8Add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- 9Add ginger and lemon peel and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds, remove and discard garlic clove.
- 10Add bell pepper and stir-fry just to heat through, about 30 seconds.
- 11Add pineapple juice mixture and pineapple chunks and cook until sauce is thick and clear, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
- 12Heat 4 cups oil in wok or deep medium saucepan to 375°F.
- 13Add batter-coated fish pieces to oil in batches and fry until crisp and golden, about 4 minutes.
- 14Using slotted spoon, transfer fish to paper towel-lined dish and drain.
- 15Reheat oil if necessary between batches.
- 16Arrange fish on platter.
- 17Reheat sauce briefly, spoon over fish and serve.
Browse Our Top Bass Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bass Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Fish with Sweet and Sour Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (510 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2382.3
- Calories from Fat 2108
- Total Fat 234.2 g
- Saturated Fat 30.6 g
- Cholesterol 46.6 mg
- Sodium 635.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 24.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pineapple chunks in juice