Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A Himilayan recipe. Some work to make, but worth every minute. Tareko is a standard technique way up there at the top of the world. I sub. a Thai garlic-chili paste for the 2 separate ones. Can be used with any fowl, just vary the frying times.
- Combine all ingredients but the duck and the oil.
- Place half the mixture in a small bowl and refrigerate.
- Rub the remaining paste all over the bird, inside and out.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 12 hours minimum.
- Prepare a steamer and cook the bird for an hour.
- Remove duck from steamer and cool.
- Using reserved paste, recoat the whole bird, inside and out.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 360.
- Fry duck until it is golden brown and the skin has crisped.
- Remove from oil and drain well.
- Serve with rice and a fruit chutney.