Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
This 9x13 cake with a crispy crust, topped by fresh apples and brown sugar is simple to make and pretty to look at.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 granny smith apples, peeled,cored and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream sugar and eggs until thick and pale; sift flour and baking powder together; add flour mixture to creamed mixture in batches, beating until smooth between additions.
- Pour into greased 9x13 baking dish; place apple slices on top of batter in one layer, overlapping them a bit; drizzle butter over apples.
- Stir dark brown sugar and cinnamon together and distribute it evenly over the top of the apples.
- Bake at 350°, 45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Very tasty! Will definately be making this again.
Was looking for an easy apple cake and I think I found it. It is an excellent cake, to make and to eat. MTW
Had this for my Dad's 70th B'Day get together. Dad loved it as did everyone else. Will definatly make again.