1/2 Photos of Crispy Crust Wheat Sandwhich Bread No-Knead
12 hrs 40 mins
Red Apple Guy's Note:
My whole wheat take on the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day recipes. For better crusts and using loaf pans, place in a covered, preheated roasting pan for baking. This is a chewy sandwich bread requested often by my wife and is more of a lean bread than a soft sandwich bread. I weigh my ingredients for accuracy as cup measurements can vary but have included approximate cup measurements if you don't have a scale. See note about yeast amounts at the bottom of the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix all ingredients by wooden spoon or by hand until well mixed.
- 2Place in an oil sprayed 5 qt bowl and cover with sprayed plastic wrap.
- 3Let rest on counter at 70 F for 2 hours or at 80 F for 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Place in the fridge overnight or for several days.
- 5Gently remove from bowl and divide into two pieces with a dough scaper or knife and stretch the outter film of the dough until a tight surface and a log shape is formed.
- 6Place into oiled 8 x 4 loaf pans.
- 7Rest at 70 to 80 F for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- 830 minutes before baking, place a large roasting pan with lid into the middle of the over and preheat oven to 450°F.
- 9When the dough is about 1 inch above the pans, carefully remove the lid to the roaster and place the two pans into it. Wear mitts or use pot holders to avoid being burned.
- 10Add 1/4 cup of hot water to the roaster carefully.
- 11Replace lid and bake for 20 minutes.
- 12Rotate roaster pan and check on browning.
- 13If not browning, leave lid off and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until internal temperatures are 200 - 210°F.
- 14If browning, replace lid and bake for 15 to 20 minutes more until internal temperatures are 200- 210°F.
- 15Carefull remove loaves and turn out on wire rack and cool for 30 min to an hour before cutting.
- 16Note: The yeast can be cut down if resting time is increased before refrigerating. The key is to get the dough to finish rising, flatten, or begin to collapse before refrigeration. 1/2 tsp yeast requires up to 12 hours for rising which improves flavor. I often use instant yeast and about 25% less than listed here.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Crust Wheat Sandwhich Bread No-Knead
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 130.4
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 293.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 4.4 g