Recipe by Lvs2Cook
This is THE best banana bread that I have ever made! The recipe is from Southern Living.
Top Review by swissms
11/09/08: This is the best banana bread. The streusel topping is a nice contrast to the moist bread. 05/16/09: I have made this recipe several times now and we really enjoy this bread made as muffins. Makes 2 dozen muffins; bake 25 minutes. Thank you for the recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Beat butter and cream cheese together with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add sugar, gradually, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until blended.
- Gradually add flour and next three ingredients to butter mixture, beating at low until just blended.
- Stir in bananas, pecans, and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 8x4 loafpans.
- Batter will be thick.
- For streusel: Stir together 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans, 1 tablespoon flour, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over batter in pans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Bread may be shielded with aluminum foil that last 15 minutes to prevent excessive browning of streusel.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool 30 more minutes before slicing.
- For perfect slices, cut with a serrated or electric knife after cooling.