Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Ever have those crunchy chocolate coconut candies from Godiva? These are WONDERFUL and sweet! Lovely addition to Christmas cookie trays and fun to make with children. Takes maybe 10 minutes from start to finish.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag milk chocolate chips or 1 (16 ounce) bag dark chocolate chips or 1 (16 ounce) baggood quality sweetened chocolate
- 1 (16 ounce) bagshredded coconut
- I've estimated the bag size but you want to have approximately equal amounts of each ingredient.
- Spread the shredded coconut in a baking pan and toast in the oven at 400° until a shade darker than golden brown (maybe 5 minutes or so I think- I never time it, just go by the color really.) Melt chocolate chips in microwave, stirring occasionally until melted.
- (Don't over cook these or the chocolate will burn and become permanently solid) Stir coconut and chocolate together until all coconut is covered.
- Drop by small spoonfuls onto wax paper and refrigerate until solid.
- --I don't like semisweet chocolate in this recipe.
- Milk or dark chocolate tastes better in my opinion, but use whatever you like.
Victoria, you're spot on. I used milk chocolate and sweetened coconut. My coconut also started to burn; I lowered the oven temperature and tossed it several times. I think the toastier, the better with the coconut, though - the crunch will last longer - so I'm going to try a 350 oven tonight and keep it in as long a possible. I melted chocolate in a bowl over simmering water - double-boiler style and added the coconut to the bowl. So easy, so delicious and everyone seems to love it.
Out of this world! Delicious and easy! I used milk chcolate and sweetened coconut. It would not taste good with unsweetened coconut. The oven temp. of 400 degrees almost burned the coconut in 5 minutes, so I would recommend decreasing the temperature to 375 degree and using a spatula to flip the coconut after 4 minutes for even cooking. Also, I melted the choc. chips on the stove top in a non-stick pan on the lowest heat and it worked perfectly, while stirring constantly. Yummy!!!
These were very good, and so easy to make! I just made sure to take the coconut out of the oven and move it around about every 2 mins. I also accidentally bought semi-sweet chocolate but decided to give it a go anyway - they were still very good but I can see why one would want to use milk chocolate instead. I will definitely make these again.