Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
Crispy Chilli Rellenos
- 12 green chili peppers (the large can)
- 12 egg roll wraps
- 2 cups cheese
- 6 tablespoons oil (to equal 1/4 inch in bottom of pan that you are using)
- Wash the chilli's and cut them open, make sure that there are not any seeds left inside.
- Get a cup of water and 2 plates ready. You'll want to start heating your oil up at this point once you get the folding of the wrappers down. It is a med. high heat. Too hot and the cheese won't melt but the wrapper will get crispy, too cold and you won't be able to do either.
- Place one egg roll wrapper on the plate.
- Place one chilli on the egg roll wrapper. Place the chilli long ways left to right.
- Sprinkle with cheese, more cheese more melty!
- Fold, the left and right side over the chilli. Use your finger in water, wipe a litte bit of water on the right and left side of the egg roll wrapper that is on the inside of your soon to be pocket.
- Bring the back of the egg roll wrapper up and over the left and right side. Slide some water over this part too.
- Bring the front over the back and seal.
- Once your oil is hot enough, place the package in the oil and allow to cook for a few moments on each side. They should get crispy and a nice brown bubbly color.
- (We split our egg roll wrapper package and chilli can into 2. We'll have the 2nd half a week or so later.).
- You can also make your own egg roll wrappers with the following recipe, although I haven't actually tried it.
- 2 C flour, 3/4 C water and 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- In food processor (I'm sure you can use a blender), process flour and salt to mix. Leave processor running and slowly pour water through top. When dough forms a ball and bounces on top of the blades, it's done (may not need all water, or may need more). Roll out paper thin, cut into 3-4" squares.