These faux nuggets are so crispy you'll never believe they're not deep-fried. Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce such as ketchup, agave, mustard, BBQ sauce or plum sauce. From the Happy Herbivore.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup soymilk (or other plant based milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 15 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP-1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs can be substituted for 1/4 cup TVP for a less "meaty" bite)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 dash thyme
- 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 cups unsweetened corn flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (not powdered if possible)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Lightly grease or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- 3Whisk milk and lemon juice together until foamy with bubbles.
- 4In a medium bowl, mash chickpeas with a fork or potato masher until coarse. You don't want any whole beans left, but don't overly mash them so that they are pureed and resembling refried beans. Alternatively, you can pulse the beans in a food processor 10-15 times and transfer processed chickpeas to the bowl.
- 5Add in TVP, crumbs if using, vital wheat gluten, mustard, spices and agave or honey.
- 6Add in 1/4 cup water and mix with a spoon. Gluten should form almost instantly. Turn out onto a clean surface and knead for about a minute, getting out any excess bubbles and making sure the gluten strands form. Mold the mixture into ball and set aside.
- 7Pour cornflakes into a separate bowl and mash until very crumbly, like thick and slightly bigger bread crumbs and set aside.
- 8Re-whisk milk and then pour mixture into a shallow bowl.
- 9Break off bouncy ball-sized portions of the gluten and flatten in the palm of your hand to it resembles a nugget shape. Dip into the milk mixture so that it's coated on both side then press into flakes on each side, making sure it's completely coated.
- 10Place nugget on a cookie sheet and repeat with all nuggets.
- 11Bake nuggets for 10 minutes, flip and bake another 10-15 minutes, until nuggets are firm and crispy.
- 12Serve with your favorite dipping sauce if desired(Ranch dressing, ketchup, honey mustard sauce, barbeque sauce, etc.).
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Chickenless Nuggets
Serving Size: 1 (636 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 66.5
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 194.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
textured vegetable protein
vital wheat gluten