Top Review by Lilladyc
I am a chicken wing fanatic, and these were excellent!! I used honey instead of sugar. I also substituted the five-spice powder with garlic powder and lots of course ground black pepper. I am allergic to the anise in the chinese spice. Still turned out excellent tasting. Hubby raved. I also prepared the entire thing in a big ziploc bag! No clean-up, except for the electric skillet!
- 12 chicken wings
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each chicken wing at joints to make 3 pieces.
- Discard wing tips or save for making chicken broth.
- Mix egg, 2 tsp.
- vegetable oil, the soy sauce, sugar, and five spice powder; pour over chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Add water to chicken.
- Stir flour, cornstarch, and baking soda into chicken.
- Heat vegetable oil (1 1/2 inches) in wok (we use a deep fryer) to 350 degrees.
- Fry 4 or 5 chicken pieces at a time until light brown, turning 2 or 3 times, about 5 minutes; drain on paper towel.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce or hot mustard.
- 6 servings