I saw this recipe on the Neely's and have adapted it to fit our tastes. Note: I've tried cutting the honey mustard sauce in half because I thought it would be too much, and it was just barely enough. I would recommend making the full amount because it will keep in the fridge for a week. Enjoy!!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- peanut oil, for frying
honey mustard sauce
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄3 cup honey (Original recipes calls for 1/2 cup...but that's too sweet for us!)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut chicken into long strips. Set aside.
- Place beaten eggs in a shallow bowl. Place flour in another shallow bowl (I like to season flour with 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and cayenne for extra flavor).
- Place panko breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl and season with garlic powder, lemon pepper, cayenne, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Dip the chicken strips in the flour, then the beaten egg, then dredge into seasoned panko.
- Fry chicken in batches in deep fryer preheated to 350 degrees for about 6-8 minutes. The chicken should be cooked through and golden brown.
- Remove to drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper once out of the fryer. Serve with honey mustard sauce.
- To make the honey mustard sauce: Mix together the mustard, honey, mayo, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Will keep in fridge up to a week.
Excellent! The only thing I did different was bake them at 375 for 25 min. Will make again
I've made a number of similar recipes over the years, but this is definitely one of the best, even if I did made a couple of minor changes ~ Instead of the panko I crushed some Milton's Original Multi-Grain Crackers & I eliminated the salt & pepper, while increasing the lemon pepper just slightly! Made the whole batch for just the 2 of us, & what left-overs we had were quickly devoured as snacks before our next meal! A wonderful winner of a recipe ~ Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Stars tag]
These are great! I followed the recipe and came out with a wonderful crispy chicken tender. They are much better than chicken tenders from a restaurant. Thank you for posting.