Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
The secret is out! By combining seasoned flour & buttermilk, you will get a chunky crunchy coating! Prep time is marinating in buttermilk & coating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Submerge the chicken strips in the buttermilk for 15 to 20 minutes (or longer if you'd like).
- 2In another bowl, combine the flour and seasoning salt (or other seasonings if you prefer). Mix this together well. Next, gradually drizzle 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the buttermilk into the flour mixture and stir lightly with a fork as you add it to achieve clumps. It is the clumpy batter that gives this chicken it's crunchy coating.
- 3Heat about 1 inch vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-low to medium heat.
- 4Remove a few of the buttermilk-soaked chicken strips and place them in the flour mixture, turning them over to coat thoroughly. Place them on a plate. Continue coating the chicken strips until they are all ready to cook.
- 5When the oil is sufficiently heated, begin cooking the strips a few at a time. Do not overload the pan or the oil temperature will drop.
- 6Cook them for about a minute and a half or so on each side. Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken tenders.
- 7When golden and crispy and the chicken is done, remove them to a paper-towel-lined plate. Do not allow them to burn.
- 8Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Yum!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Chicken Strips - Pioneer Woman
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.3
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 145.6 mg
- Sodium 275.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 54.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: