Recipe by JoiD
This recipe is absolutley delicious! It is not only tasty but has a wonderful crunchy texture with the almonds, water chestnuts & cornflakes cereal. Recipe is from Southern Living, SEPTEMBER 2003
Top Review by Roxi
Honestly, this wasn't a hit with my family. The kids thought there was too much onion and I wasn't crazy about the texture. It wasn't cheap to make, with all the various ingredients, so I was sad to have it not be eaten.
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup or 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup or 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of celery soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes cereal
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Stir together cooked rice and next 10 ingredients in a bowl.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with cereal.
- Bake at 350?
- for 30 minutes (I bake it longer) or until golden and bubbly.
- Garnish, if desired.
- Note: Freeze casserole up to 1 month, if desired.
- Thaw casserole in refrigerator overnight.
- Bake, covered with aluminum foil, at 350?
- for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake 15 minutes more or until thoroughly heated.