Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This comes from "Grandma's Kitchen Collection" of recipe cards that I have. This is a great recipe. Tasty Tasty!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs, salt and pepper until blended. Dip chicken in egg mixture and coat with cracker crumbs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken. Cook chicken until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side; drain. Arrange in a single layer in prepared baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Wipe skillet with paper towels. Combine tomato sauce, basil and garlic powder in the skillet and mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; reduce heat.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened, about 6 minutes. Stir in butter. Pour over the chicken. Sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes; remove the cover. Top each chicken breast with mozzarella. Bake for 10 minutes longer.
I loved the crispness that the cracker crumbs gave the chicken in this recipe and the simplicity of the sauce. I didn't completely cover the chicken with the sauce as I like some crispy bits to remain. It was delicious. I will make this again!