These make a terrific light lunch or dinner, or can be served cold for a picnic. They'd also be nice as finger food for a party. So versatile, and you won't believe how easy they are to make! I've adapted this recipe from one by Jamie Oliver. I serve mine drizzled with Ranch Dressing, made using Mirj's Homemade Ranch Dressing Homemade Ranch Dressing. Jamie serves his with yoghurt and lemon juice. They would also be terrific served with sour cream and sweet chilli sauce. Use your imagination!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 200 -250 g breadcrumbs, made from stale bread
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (ordinary paprika would do)
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 4 chicken breast fillets, skinless boneless, preferably, frozen
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- ranch dressing, to serve (optional)
- 1Slice chicken breasts lengthways into long strips about 4"or 5" (10cm-13cm) long and 1/2-3/4" (1-1 1/2 cm) wide.
- 2This is easier if you cut your chicken when it's still partly frozen.
- 3Don't worry if you end up with some smaller bits of chicken, these will work just as well.
- 4Place breadcrumbs into a food processor together with the garlic powder, celery seeds, paprika, fennel, salt, pepper and lemon zest and process until the breadcrumbs are nice and fine.
- 5Place the breadcrumbs into a large zip-lock bag together with the fully defrosted chicken strips.
- 6Shake until the strips are well coated with the breadcrumbs.
- 7Arrange breaded strips in a single layer on a large plate and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- 8Preheat your oven to 190C (375F).
- 9Lightly oil a baking dish or tray with the olive oil (I line mine with silicone paper first to make cleaning up easier).
- 10Place chicken in a single layer into the baking dish.
- 11Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- 12Serve warm or cold, drizzled generously with the dressing of your choice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Chicken Goujons
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.1
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 949.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of
chicken breast fillets