Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
Crisp flautas are usually fried and full of fat. This recipe offers a grilled and reduced fat version. Serve wtih pico de gallo and non-fat sour cream, unless you don't give a hoot and have major oink tendencies like myself, in which case, go hog wild and use full-fat stuff.
Top Review by PaulaG
I was intrigued by this recipe because they are low in fat and I had never considered making flautas on the grill. I have an issue with using 4 bone-in chicken breasts for 12 fautas. I used half the white meat from a rotisserie chicken, 1-10oz can of Rotel tomatoes well drained and got 9 well filled fautas. For best results in rolling the tortillas they were microwaved for 10 seconds then dipped into a small amount of warmed olive oil. I used both white and yellow corn tortillas. The yellow corn seemed to crisp up better. For the white tortillas they were sprayed with non-stick cooking spary and that seemed to help them crisp. The flavor the filling is wonderful and definitely something I would do again.
- 4 chicken breasts, bone in
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock, plus extra for tortillas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup canned tomato, drained and chopped
- 12 corn tortillas
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and roast in oven for about 1/2 hour. When it's cooked through, remove bones and skin and shred the chicken.
- Heat the chicken stock in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and peppers and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes and shredded chicken and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool and drain any excess liquid.
- Soften tortillas with a bit of chicken stock and place chicken mixture in the center. Roll up tightly and seal with two toothpicks. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Place seam side down on medium flame on grill and turn while cooking until crispy - about 5-7 minutes.
- You can also bake them in a preheated 375F oven about 20 minutes until crisp. Remove from grill, cut in half and remove toothpicks.