Recipe by Mary Jenny
Have fun with your food with fresh roasted apple fries and cornflake crusted chicken fingers. Kids will love preparing the 'fries' and coating the chicken. Serve in rolled newspaper for an authentic 'chippy' feel.
Top Review by bluedrgn52
This was really good! I love the cornflake breading and how easy this was to put together. It's delicious and pleased ALL of the picky eaters in my household (including the 11 year old, super picky eater and the 33 year old super picky eater. lol) Peeling the apples was the most time consuming part, but I'll let the kiddo do that next time. I will say, I used a bit more chili sauce than the recipe called for, and slightly more corn flakes, but I also used a little bit more chicken, so that's a no brainer. The apples came out great. Sweet but savory, the thyme was just the right touch on them. I'll be saving this recipe for future use!
- 2 cups apple cider, 500 ml
- 2 tablespoons butter, 30 ml (or non-hydrogenated margarine)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (optional)
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 8 wedges (Empire or Spy)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, 15 ml
Crispy Chicken Fingers
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes, 250 ml (or crushed whole grain flakes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, 30 ml
- 1 lb chicken breast, sliced into strips 500 g
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce, 30 ml
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan over medium–high heat, boil cider until reduced to 1/3 cup (75 mL), about 20 minutes (will have a syrupy consistency). Remove from heat; whisk in butter and salt.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). In bowl, toss apples with 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the glaze and 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) of thyme. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- In bowl combine corn flake crumbs, salt and parsley. Set aside. Dip chicken strips in sweet chili sauce and then coat with corn flakes. Arrange in a single layer on a greased baking sheet.
- Place chicken on the top third and the apples on the bottom third of the oven. Roast for 10 minutes. Turn chicken, drizzle apples with remaining glaze and switch baking sheets so the apples are now on the top third of oven. Continue to roast for 10 minutes and remove chicken from oven. Let chicken fingers cool while apples finish caramelizing, about 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Sprinkle apples with remaining thyme and additional salt if desired.