Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Have fun with your food with fresh roasted apple fries and cornflake crusted chicken fingers. Kids will love preparing the 'fries' and coating the chicken. Serve in rolled newspaper for an authentic 'chippy' feel.
- 2 cups apple cider, 500 ml
- 2 tablespoons butter, 30 ml (or non-hydrogenated margarine)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (optional)
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 8 wedges (Empire or Spy)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, 15 ml
Crispy Chicken Fingers
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes, 250 ml (or crushed whole grain flakes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, 30 ml
- 1 lb chicken breast, sliced into strips 500 g
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce, 30 ml
- In large saucepan over medium–high heat, boil cider until reduced to 1/3 cup (75 mL), about 20 minutes (will have a syrupy consistency). Remove from heat; whisk in butter and salt.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). In bowl, toss apples with 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the glaze and 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) of thyme. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- In bowl combine corn flake crumbs, salt and parsley. Set aside. Dip chicken strips in sweet chili sauce and then coat with corn flakes. Arrange in a single layer on a greased baking sheet.
- Place chicken on the top third and the apples on the bottom third of the oven. Roast for 10 minutes. Turn chicken, drizzle apples with remaining glaze and switch baking sheets so the apples are now on the top third of oven. Continue to roast for 10 minutes and remove chicken from oven. Let chicken fingers cool while apples finish caramelizing, about 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Sprinkle apples with remaining thyme and additional salt if desired.
What a lovely unique recipe Info4YourLife. My dh & I enjoyed this tasty meal very much. The chicken was perfect, beautifully seasoned, crispy and tender. I served it with a Thai sweet, hot & spicy chili sauce that was mixed with plum sauce. The apple fries were a lovely suprise. The vinegar glaze was a nice touch. Made the recipe as directed except that I used sweet, hot & spicy chili sauce (was what I had in the house). It worked wonderfully in this recipe. Thank you for sharing a recipe that will be made again and again at our house. Made for Fall Pac 2011.