Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great twist on a family favorite. I love the extra umph the crispiness gives to this classic casserole.
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 8 ounces broccoli (frozen)
- 8 ounces broccoli, cauliflower mix (frozen)
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 16 ounces progresso cream of mushroom soup
- 16 ounces Minute Rice (family size)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup butter garlic herbed croutons
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Cook vegetables- chop into small bite size pieces and then set aside.
- Clean and rinse chicken breasts; chop into small pieces and cook in a heated frying pan with the EVOO, salt and pepper, garlic and onion.
- In a blender, combine 1/2 of the bag of shredded cheese, mushroom soup once blended combine in a large mixing bowl with the veggies and the chicken once it is nearly cooked (if its not all the way done that's okay because you will be cooking it in the oven for 30 minutes and you don't want the chickent to be too tough)
- Add cooked rice last to your 9x11 pan- again if the rice is a bit under done it will be okay because you have to bake this once it is mixed together for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees- you don't want it to get mushy.
- In another small bowl combine hot melted butter and croutons until the croutons are basically reduced to buttery bread crumbs- I had to use a hard spoon to mash them down in order to get them to the right consistency. Add the remaining cheese to the buttery crushed croutons.
- Once you put the complete mixture in the 9x11 pan sprinkle the crouton cheese mix on top of the casserole and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
- Top should be golden brown and crispy.
The best chicken broccoli casserole I've made. Been looking for a recipe that had crumbled croutons on top for years like my girlfriend's mom used to make when we were growing up. This will be my new favorite from now on. I used 3 cups of dried rice, all broccoli (no cauliflower), and 2 cans of mushroom soup. I highly recommend this recipe.