Recipe by HomeCooking
Many years ago I made this recipe in one of my cooking classes. Its been a family favorite since and we like to serve it with garlic bread and a garden salad. Very satisfying and tasty.. hope you enjoy! :)
Top Review by iewe
This was good, though a little bit bland. However, I ran out of breadcrumbs so I crushed up some ceaser croutons to make the topping, and it had a great flavor!! Next time will try making with different cheese in the sauce, and more chicken for more flavor. I also increased the pasta to a little less than two cups, as one cup was not enough.
- 1 cup uncooked pasta, i use spiral pasta
- 30 g butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped chicken (500g/1 pound)
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 50 g butter, melted
- 2 cups stale breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into small pieces and slightly brown in a fry pan. In the mean time, boil your water and cook your pasta. Once chicken is cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt your butter and then add your flour, allow to cook for a minute or so.
- Add your milk and whisk continuously, medium heat, until you have a thick white sauce.
- Add your seeded mustard and cheese.
- Once combined, add your chicken and cooked drained pasta.
- Pour mixture into a oven proof dish 9-1/2" x 1-1/2" (i use Pyrex pie dish)and set aside.
- To make the crunchy topping combine all the topping ingredients together and sprinkle over the chicken pasta mix in dish.
- Bake in a 350F/180C oven until the topping becomes crunchy and nicely browned.
- Serve on its own or with a salad and garlic bread.