Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
I can't decide if my favorite part of this dish is the sweet taste of the orange marmalade mixed with the Asian flavors of the soy and honey with a bite of juicy chicken or if it's a spoonful of rice that cooks so nicely under the chicken, capturing the savory juices, and crispy pieces along the sides of the pan. Which ever part you like best, this is a winner all around. It's just as good reheated too!
- 1 cut up whole chicken
- 1⁄2-1 cup orange marmalade (amount may vary depending on how much chicken you have)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot, raw
- 2 cups raw rice, cooked
- 3 tablespoons butter
- course salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook rice according to package and toss with the butter and chopped raw carrots. Spread the rice mixture in a large casserole dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the orange juice over the rice and than place all the chicken pieces in a single layer over the rice and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread a layer of orange marmalade on the chicken and scatter the rest over the rice.
- Sprinkle the soy and honey over the chicken and rice.
- With the back of a wooden spoon, poke a few wholes in the rice to allow the juices from all the ingredients to get into the rice.
- Bake uncovered for 50 minutes and once browned, cover loosely with foil and let cook another 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is brown, bubbling and a little crusty on the edges.
Absolutely fabulous! This recipe is going directly into my "best-of-the-best" file. I halved the recipe and just used chicken thighs, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. The rice alone is worth 10 stars! The chicken came out crispy on the outside, tender and moist on the inside and the flavor was outstanding. I would serve this to company in a heartbeat. Thank you for posting this gem. I can't wait to try more of your recipes. (I followed your blog and Pinterest.) Made for Spring 2013 Pick A Chef.
Loved it! Rice is truly wonderful and unique with shredded carrot, chicken came out moist. Easy. We do not eat skin so next time will remove it so meat absorbs flavor. Wish the ingredients were listed in order of directions.
I like to cook with what I have on hand and I found this recipe with a search. The rice is absolutely delicious. Sweet and savory just the way I like it. I cooked it with chicken broth for additional flavor. I made the mistake though of putting the rice raw into the pan with the broth because I didn't have time to precook it. Don't do it! It cooked unevenly. Follow the directions and you can't go wrong!