Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Quick and easy snack that can easily be multiplied!
- 4 cheese sticks
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- oil (enough to deep fry with if you choose to)
- Dip cheese stick into flour then egg then into bread crumb and taco seasoning mixture, place stick in fridge to let coating set. Place left over egg in fridge too.
- After about 1/2 hour, take out of fridge and dip in egg again then back into crumbs.
- Deep fry in about 2 cup of oil at around 375°F for less than a minute or until crispy.
- Alternatively you can bake these sticks at 400°F for about 8-10 minutes on a lightly greased baking sheet BUT you must chill the sticks for a second time after the final coating.
What a great alternative to buying the frozen cheese sticks. I used cheddar cheese and skipped the taco mix. I have to admit to making a couple of changes to speed things up and eliminate some of the oil. Instead of sticking the cheese into the fridge after the first coating for 30 minutes, I stuck them in the freezer for about 5 minutes. I also rolled them in the flour first on the second round just as I did in the first round. And, I fried the cheese in about 3 tbsp of canola oil just long enough to get them to slightly brown, and then baked them for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven to get the cheese melty. I didn't want to immerse them in oil or leave them in the oil so long, and found this totatlly effective at getting them crispy on the outside and melty on the inside.
These were so good! I only had cheddar/mozz twists and they were good, but I think all mozz would be better. I don't have a deep fryer, so this is what I did: coat, freezer for 15 mins, coat again, freezer for 15, brown in olive oil in fry pay, then bake at 350 for 10 mins. I wish I would have checked them after 8 min, because my cheese ran out a little bit. They were so good, I don't need to order these out anymore! Thanks!
I used panko and seasoned it with Penzey's Parisien Bonnes Herbes and salt. I prepared using Karen67's strategy. The panko might provide a less secure coating than bread crumbs, because they leaked quite a bit of cheese. But we ate every morsel and they were a huge hit with my friends.