Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
The original of this tempting recipe came from Jean Carper's 'EatSmart' column in the 9-11 Feb 2007 issue of the USA Weekend paper.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, spray
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 large head cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, finel chopped
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray cookie sheet with olive oil.
- In a shallow dish, combine cheese, cumin, cayenne, salt & pepper.
- Dredge cauliflower pieces in egg, then in cheese mix.
- Put on cookie sheet, & spray with oil.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Remove to serving plate, & sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
I am giving this 5 stars even though I think some improvement can be made. I will definitely add some garlic salt next time and omit the salt. Also one egg should be plenty as others have reviewed. It also needed more of the olive oil spray than I used because the cauliflower came out a little dry. A great idea and very tasty and a recipe which I will be tweaking a little further. Thanks very much for posting.
This goes directly into my "Best of the Best" cookbook! I knew I would like this recipe because I already like sprinkling roasted cauliflower with parmesan cheese before serving, but the addition of the spices, and the method of adding the cheese to make it crispy, takes this humble vegetable over the top. Thanks to reviews, I shook the cauliflower pieces and egg in a plastic bag to coat, then I put them in a lidded tupperware container with the breading ingredients and shook together until evenly coated....this worked very well, and clean-up was easy. I didn't serve with lemon (forgot) but didn't feel there was anything missing in flavour. The little touch of heat from the cayenne was perfect!
I halved this for just DD and I and I wish I hadn't!!! I added the parsley to the cheese mixture as well and they were soooo good. I even cheated and used frozen cauliflower. I had to bake them almost 5 mins longer to heat through (I put them in still frozen) but they were worth the wait. Will be making this often!