Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Comes from the Church of Messiah "Seasoned with Love" Cookbook.
- 2 lbs catfish fillets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 18 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- tartar sauce
- oil (for frying)
- Slice fillets diagonally into 1-inch wide strips; set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Combine egg and milk, beat well and set aside.
- Combine cracker crumbs and cornmeal, stirring well.
- Dredge catfish strips in flour mixture; dip in egg mixture and coat with crumb mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1.5 inches in a heavy skillet. Fry catfish strips, a few at at time, in hot 375 degree oil over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve with tartar sauce.