Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From Southern Living. Cooking time includes chill time.
- 4 (6 ounce) catfish fillets
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- vegetable oil
- lemon wedge
- Combine catfish and milk to cover in a shallow dish; add hot sauce. Cover and chill 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove catfish from milk mixture, reserving mixture; sprinkle catfish evenly with 1/2 t salt, and set aside.
- Whisk egg into milk mixture until blended.
- Combine flour, ground peppers,and remaining 1 1/2 t salt. Dredge catfish in flour mixture,and coat with chopped pecans.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 360°F Fry catfish 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes with a fork. Drain on paper towels. Place on a serving platter; garnish, if desired.