Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Oh my gosh these are good.
- 3 lbs pork shoulder blade roast
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 fresh jalapeno peppers, stemmed and chopped
- corn tortilla
- Cotija cheese
- avocados, diced or guacamole
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
- onions or scallion, diced
- In large pot, cover pork with water. Add seasonings and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours or until meat is very tender and begins to fall apart. Remove meat from liquid and coarsely shred pork discarding any fat.
- Quickly dip corn tortillas in hot oil just long enough to soften. Place 1 to 2 T of shredded carnitas across the center of softened tortilla. Fold tortilla over and secure with metal clip or with toothpicks. Repeat process until all tacos have been prepared.
- Heat 3/4 inch of oil in a heavy swallow skillet 370 degrees. Place 2 to 3 tacos in oil. Brown on one side and turn over and repeat on the other. Remove taco to absorbent paper and remove clip or toothpicks. Separate shell slightly and insert shredded lettuce, tomato, and top with cheese.
- Serve immediately with refried beans, rice, and table condiments of your choice.