Recipe by Cecily Parsley
Served with fresh pita bread and creamy Greek yogurt, this colourful salad makes a fine lunch or a substantial appetizer. First paragraphs of ingredients is for the relish; second paragraph is for the calamari.
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup pitted sliced kalamata olive
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- salt and black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 lb cleaned calamari, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 8 cups canola oil (or peanut oil)
- salad greens
Directions See How It's Made
- Mediterranean Relish:
- Stir together tomatoes, olives, capers, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic and parsley. Aet aside.
- Stir together flour, lemon rind, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. In a separate bowl, stir togther breadcrumbs and almonds. Beat eggs in another shallow bowl. Dip calamari pieces - a few at a time, in flour mixture to coat completely. Dip in eggs and toss in crumb mixture to coat completely.
- Fill a large deep-fryer, large saucepan or wok with at least 3 inches of oil, then heat over medium -high heat to a temperature of 375°. Cook calamari in batches for 1 minute, until golden brown. Remove calamari from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve on a bed of salad greens with Mediterranean Relish.