Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Take buffalo style and apply it to crispy catfish fillets and you get = yum!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- cayenne, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 catfish fillets
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- celery rib
- good blue cheese dressing
- Combine cornmeal, flour, ground chili powder, cayenne to taste, garlic powder, salt, and pepper on a shallow dish.
- Coat each fillet in the beaten egg, then dredge in the cornmeal mixture.
- Place breaded fillets in a single layer on a plate, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to set breading.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 Tbsp of the butter together with the oil.
- Take chilled fillets from refrigerator and brown them until golden brown on each side and cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Transfer cooked fish to serving plates.
- Over low heat, heat remaining butter in the same pan you cooked the fish in; sauté the minced onion and minced garlic clove for 3 minutes, then stir in the hot pepper sauce, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula to get up the cooked bits.
- Divide the sauce between the 4 servings and drizzle over the fillets.
- Serve fillets immediately with good blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.
I used more onion and 8 tablespoons hot sauce for 4 fillets catfish and it worked great!! Makes a really good and spicy sauce and the coating on the fish is good and crispy!!
We made this for dinner a few nights ago and to tasted great. We doubled the sauce amount and it still wasn't quite enough so next time we might triple it. Makes great sauce. Update: I just noticed that the amount of hot sauce in the recipe is different from what we used. I think it originally had 2 tablespoons? So tripling 5 tablespoons as the recipe says now might be too much but I bet you could have a total of about 7 or 8 and the sauce would be fine. Experiment to see how you like it.
My dh loves catfish and he said this was some of the best he's ever had. I did not make the sauce as dh is a purist and only likes lemon juice on fish. My biggest problem was that I did not cook it quite long enough and had to put it back for a little more time. I will definitly make this for him again.