Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
After checking many recipes online I wanted to mix my mom's secret ingredient in fish batter. Curry. So I came up with this which was inspired by http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-battered-fish-130102 I loved this recipe. Hope you enjoy it.
- 1 lb tilapia fillet (sliced into 1/2 inch)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg (I used half the yolk)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces beer
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Whisk the egg and add to dry ingredients.
- Add beer gradually while mixing till the batter gets liquid enough.
- Dip the tilapia fillets in the batter and let it rest for a minute.
- In a pan add the oil and put on medium heat.
- Add the tilapia to the pan and fry till each side is golden brown.
- After they're done remove and put on paper towel and let it cool for few minutes before serving.
- You can serve this with boiled rice and/or my Minty Cucumber Salad.
I paired with fried potatoes and Sriracha Coleslaw for a pub style fish and chips meal. The fish batter was lighter in texture than other recipes I've tried and one could taste the fish. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Recipe needs a dredging process or else the batter slips right off in the oil. My fish looked nothing like the photo. Too much garlic powder as well. Keep working at it and it will turn out well.