Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are delicious and so easy to make! They remind me of Navajo Tacos that my mom made when I was growing up. The texture of the tostada is so thick and delicous- very filling. We love all the recommended toppings listed. We usually don't have all on hand. I've also substituted leftover shredded beef for the ground beef and they were delicious too! I make these a couple times a month. Enjoy!
- 3 cups flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- chopped tomato
- shredded lettuce
- sliced olive
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced green onion
- sour cream
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder; add milk and form a soft dough. Knead until mixed thoroughly. Cover and let rest 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown beef and garlic in large skillet until meat is no longer pink; drain well.
- Add chilies, taco seasoning, salt and pepper if desired, and water. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans and heat through; keep warm.
- In a deep fat fryer or skillet, preheat oil to 375.
- Separate dough into 6 equal portions. Roll over lightly floured surface into a 7 inch circle.
- Fry tostadas in hot oil until golden, turning once; drain on paper towels.
- Immediately top each tostada with meat mixture and desired toppings.
LOVED this!! The beans and meat melded so well together. My toppings were lettuce, tomato, olives, green onions and green sauce. It was so good, 5 stars!