Recipe by Sharon123
This is from Cooking with Onions, Favorite Onion Recipes! Great with steak and baked beans.
Top Review by Toni in Colorado
I only made a half batch because my husband doesn't eat onions. When I was putting together the ingredients my first thought was, "Boy, that's a lot of seasoning!". I thought it would be too strong, but it wasn't. I used a Vidalia onion. Though the flour mixture didn't cover the whole piece of onion, it was enough to make it really good. Next time I will add one egg to the milk to hold together the mixture.I enjoyed this recipe very much.
- 1 lb red onions or 1 lb yellow onion, cut into 1/8-inch rings
- hot oil, in fryer
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together.
- Dip onion rings in milk, then toss in seasoned flour, separating rings.
- Deep fry in 365°F oil until crispy and just turning dark brown.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Makes 16 servings.
- This is good served with steak, beans and barbecue sauce.