Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is so quick and simple yet utterly delicious! If you like crispy food and eggplant, you're bound to like this one.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut crosswise in 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, dried onion, and salt.
- In a shallow dish mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning (or just use Italian breadcrumbs).
- Brush eggplant slices with mayonnaise mixture and then coat in breadcrumb mixture.
- Place eggplant slices on a lightly oiled baking sheet or shallow baking dish.
- Bake in hot oven for about 12 to 15 minutes turning about half way through.
- (This is a take-off from a recipe I have on a CD called "One Million of the World's Best Recipes", 2000).
"A Good Thing," thanks for posting was looking for another eggplant recipe but not heavy using oil or in a casserole. I am watching my salt so did not add any, used the "dry" Parmesan cheese and the mayonnaise with olive oil. I think some of my eggplant pieces were too big so had to crush a few crackers (no salt on top) to finish the few I had. Did everything else and when all baked I returned all the pieces back to oven to crisp up.
Mine didn't get as crispy as I would have liked, but I may have skimped too much on the mayo (my eggplant was really small, so I wasn't sure about amounts). The flavor was nice, though.
I did this with light mayo, but wisked it with some water, as I thought it was too think otherwise. Wait a few minutes and the mayo will thicken up. It is a fast, easy and low calorie way to oven "fry" anything!