Recipe by PSU Lioness
This is one that I adapted from Baked Chicken Thighs/Leg Quarters after I scored 4 huge chicken leg quarters on sale. ($0.39 a pound!). I added a few things and adjusted the cooking time and temp to to what worked for me. The skin got SO crispy and the chicken was moist and retained the flavors. It also fell off the bone. I hope you enjoy! UPDATE 11/13/15: THANK YOU for all of the great reviews! I am so glad it's such a hit! Make sure you check out the reviews for some other ideas on how to switch it up a little (but the original is still my personal favorite).
Top Review by Deely
This really is an easy and flavorful chicken recipe. I used 4 big thighs and seasoned them on a dinner plate, using all of your suggested spices and low sodium soy sauce. Just as I was about to put them in the oven, we were invited out to dinner...so I covered them with plastic wrap and stuck them in the fridge. They marinaded all night and we had them for lunch today. OMG they were fabulous! I baked them on a rack on a foil lined cookie sheet at 375 for one hour. They came out so crispy, juicy and tender. This one goes into my regular rotation for sure. Thank you for posting PSU Lioness.
- 4 skin-on chicken leg quarters, with bone
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon dill weed, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line a large glass baking dish with foil.
- Remove excess fat from chicken quarters.
- Separate the skin from the chicken, taking care that the skin stays attached at most points on the chicken. (You just want a flap. Do not remove the skin).
- Brush the chicken (under the skin) with soy sauce.
- Sprinkle some garlic powder, seasoned salt and dill weed on the chicken under the skin (I estimated the 1 tsp measures. Use as much or as little as you're comfortable with) and rub into the chicken.
- Arrange the leg quarters in the pan, skin side up, taking care not to crowd. They need space to cook properly.
- Brush both sides of the leg quarters with soy sauce.
- Sprinkle the skin with garlic powder, seasoned salt and dill weed (to taste).
- Place on middle rack in over and bake uncovered for an hour.
- After an hour, increase oven temp to 400 and bake 15 minutes.
- Chicken is done when internal temp reaches 165 (insert meat thermometer at thickest part of thigh, taking care not to touch the bone).
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.