Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a healthier "fried" chicken recipe that we enjoy. You can use the boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thighs or a combination of both.Originally from the food section of the Houston Chronicle.
- 8 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh fine breadcrumbs (I have used dried bread crumbs also)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- nonstick cooking spray
- Cover a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, mix flour,1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and thyme, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, egg whites, and pepper sauce.
- In a large shallow dish or on waxed paper, mix bread crumbs,paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Coat chicken with the flour mixture, dip in milk mixture, and then roll in crumb mixture and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a wire rack in a large shallow pan and arrange chicken pieces on the wire rack, making sure pieces don't touch.
- Spray chicken pieces lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake until juice runs clear when chicken is pierced, about 45 to 55 minutes.