Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 mins
The most unusual taco ever. This is the signature taco recipe at Border Grill restaurant. Note: Large avocados are recommended for this recipes. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- sea salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 green onions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 canned chipotle chili, seeded, if desired and minced
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup quinoa
- 1⁄3 cup poppy seed
- 1⁄3 cup sesame seeds
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 -2 avocado, ripe firm fresh seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices (see note in description)
- salt, to taste
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 (4 inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce, torn in half
- 1 cup corn salsa (recipe below)
- 8 sprigs cilantro, for garnish
- To make corn salsa: Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute corn with salt and pepper, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients (including the 2 remaining tablespoons olive oil) and let sit 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
- To make tacos: Combine flour, 1/3 cup water, cumin, salt and pepper to make a batter.
- In a separate bowl, combine quinoa, poppy seeds and sesame seeds.
- Place flour for dusting into a third bowl.
- Season avocado liberally with salt.
- To coat avocado, dust wedges with flour, shaking off all excess. Dip floured wedges into batter to coat lightly and then roll each wedge in the seed mixture, pressing gently to form a complete crust.
- Heat 1 to 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375° in a small pot. In batches, fry the coated avocado wedges in the hot oil until seeds are golden and crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes, and then transfer to a rack to drain.
- To assemble the tacos, place a piece of lettuce in the center of each warm tortilla and top with a crispy avocado wedge, a generous spoonful of Corn Salsa and a cilantro sprig. Serve immediately.