Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This salad is a meal by itself..I had something similar at a restuarant, went home and came up with this.Wonderful mixture of sweet and sour,crisp and crunchy with a little hot...It's now a family favorite...ENJOY!!!
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 3⁄4 cup orange marmalade, heated to a syrup
- 1⁄4 cup orzo pasta, browned
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion, sauted
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery, sauted
- 3⁄4 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup Minute Rice
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon, base
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 -3 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons shredded carrots
- 20 broccoli, small florets
- 20 green beans
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 24 snow pea pods
- 4 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 4 tablespoons chinese noodles
- Rice Pilaf:.
- Brown Orzo in skillet with 1/8 c olive oil.Saute onions and celery.Mix with rice,bouillion,red pepper flakes,water and honey in a casserole dish.
- Bake 350 degrees covered for 30-40 minutes.While the pilaf is cooking,fry the chicken in oil 375 degrees for 3-4 minutes till golden brown.
- Cut chicken into 1" pieces.Beat 2 eggs,mix in 2 tblsp oil.Dip chicken in egg mixture and coat with mixture of 1c cornstarch and 1/2 c flour, salt and pepper.When golden brown,drain on paper towels.Keep warm in oven,till time to assemble salad(When short on time-I have substituted with banquet popcorn chicken pieces).
- Steam vegetables (tender crisp)or microwave 3-4 minutes.
- Assemble salad 4 salad bowls.
- Add to each.
- Divide rice pilaf between 4 bowls -- Top off with tender crisp vegetables 5 broccoli florets,3-4 strips of red pepper,5 green beans,snapped in half,6 snow pea pods,1 tblsp toasted almonds(optional)1 tblsp shredded carrots.Top off with 1 tblsp chinese noodles.
- Dip hot chicken pieces into 3/4 cup warmed orange marmalade.Place 7-8 pieces of orange chicken on top of salad. Serve while still hot -- .
Delicious and nutritious
This sounded really good so I decided to make it. I did find the prep to be longer than 15 min. but the end result was worth it (I did 3 separate batches of chicken so it took awhile). The coating for the chicken was wonderful, even though I just added tbs. of veg. oil to a hot pan (without a fryer or thermometer), so moist! The honey was a nice addition to the rice, too (used 2 tbs). I had some leftover steamed broccoli and that was a time saver. I drizzled some extra marmalade on top of mine. My husband really enjoyed it,too. Roxygirl