Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
In 'A Southerly Course' by Martha Hall Foose.
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, very thinly sliced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- Soak the potato slices in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Drain, rinse, and pat dry.
- Heat the oven to 350°.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the oil in the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Alternately layer the potatoes and onions, seasoning with salt and pepper between layers.
- Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil over the top.
- Pour in the broth and milk.
- Bake on the top rack of the oven for 50 minutes or until the potatoes can be pierced easily with a fork and the top is brown and crisp.