Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I made up this recipe from a compilation of recipes that I found-all trying to come to a final product that resembled the old-fashioned gingersnaps that come in a brown-colored bag and I love so much... Super spicy, crisp and crunchy, these are a real treat but not a guilty treat! Unlike most recipes for gingersnaps that call for butter, this stays true to the old fashioned recipe that only uses oil. I also use Splenda for half the sugar (that halves the guilt too(-;) Enjoy!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons ginger
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cocoa (dutch process or similar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove (ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup oil (I use canola)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons sugar, for dipping
- Mix all dry ingredients (except 2 T. dipping sugar) together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix oil, egg and molasses together is a smaller bowl and add to dry mix, slowly while mixing with paddle.
- Mix only until all liquid is combined.
- Using a 1" across cookie scoop pull rounded portions of dough and roll in palm and dip once on top in the dipping sugar.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg F.
- Place on parchment covered pans.
- place cookies approx 3" apart.
- using a flat-bottomed glass or similar, press cookies until they are about 1/2" thick or thinner and are about 2-3" across.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.