Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
I make up double batches of these delicious nuts during the holidays and for parties - they go very fast!
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups blanched whole almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups hazelnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts or 1 1⁄2 cups pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 330F.
- Beat whites with salt until foamy and gradually beat in sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, paprika and cayenne.
- Stir in nuts and butter, combining well, and spread in a large, shallow roasting pan.
- Bake in middle of oven, stirring every 10 minutes, until crisp and golden, about 30-40 minutes.
- Spread on foil and cool.
- Break up nut clusters.
- May be made 1 week ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
Made these spicy nuts again - only this time I didn't burn them! I used about 5 cups of salted mixed nuts; therefore I omitted the additional salt from the recipe. After they cooled, I broke them up as instructed but some of them still felt a bit sticky -- so I sprinkled on some chili powder and a little bit of extra sugar, then tossed them together. These are addicting - I love the spicy/sweet flavor of these nuts!! Thanks again, evelyn/athens! -M =)
Fantabulous! I made these tonight to bring to a work party tomorrow but my poor co-workers may miss out because we cannot stop snacking on these delicious nuts! I made as is, using pecans and reducing the cayenne in deference to some weak stomachs at the office. Thank you Evelyn, I'm going to use this recipe for Christmas gift baskets as well!
This was really easy and delicious -- not too spicy or too sweet, a perfect balance.. I followed the recipe exactly and adults and kids both really loved these. I did have to cook for 50 minutes (stirring every 10) probably because I didn't have a big enough roasting pan.