Recipe by evelyn/athens
I make up double batches of these delicious nuts during the holidays and for parties - they go very fast!
Top Review by Mary Scheffert
Made these spicy nuts again - only this time I didn't burn them! I used about 5 cups of salted mixed nuts; therefore I omitted the additional salt from the recipe. After they cooled, I broke them up as instructed but some of them still felt a bit sticky -- so I sprinkled on some chili powder and a little bit of extra sugar, then tossed them together. These are addicting - I love the spicy/sweet flavor of these nuts!! Thanks again, evelyn/athens! -M =)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups blanched whole almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups hazelnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts or 1 1⁄2 cups pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 330F.
- Beat whites with salt until foamy and gradually beat in sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, paprika and cayenne.
- Stir in nuts and butter, combining well, and spread in a large, shallow roasting pan.
- Bake in middle of oven, stirring every 10 minutes, until crisp and golden, about 30-40 minutes.
- Spread on foil and cool.
- Break up nut clusters.
- May be made 1 week ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.