Recipe by justcallmetoni
Although I am not diabetic, when looking for desserts or baked goods, I frequently find myself reading Diabetic Living. I love the emphasis on complex carbohydrates and higher fiber ingredients well suited to my own approach to eating. Preparation does not include 1 hour chilling time. 2 cookies is 1 WW point; .5 carb exchange, .5 carb choices.
Top Review by Hydra
These turned out great! I cut mine into "sticks" to serve with my pumpkin dip for Thanksgiving tomorrow. Thanks! (Though I think I'll cut down on some of the spices, perhaps half them, in the future. ((They were a little strong.))
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger (I use a bit more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon apple pie spice (or cinnamon with a pinch of nutmeg)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup light molasses
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flours with the spices in a medium bowl or on a sheet of waxed paper. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl beat the butter for a minute. Add molasses and sugar and blend until fully combined. Using a low setting on your mixer beat in flour mixture. Divide dough into halves and shape into diskes. Cover and chill for an hour.
- Revove one disk from the icebox. On a floured surface roll out the dough into a wafer thin sheet about 1/16 inch thick (really, really thin). Use a floured 2 inch cookie cutter to cut out the crisps and place on a cookie sheet.
- Alternate rolling method: Getting the thin dough to retain its shape while tranfering to the baking sheet is laborous. My solution is to roll the dough between two sheets of parchment. Peel the top layer of paper off and make the cookie cutouts on the dough. Leave some space, about 3/8 inch between cookies to make the next step easier. Now peel off the excess dough, leaving the cookies on the parchment. Transfer parchment filled with cookies to baking sheet and bake. Perfectly shapped cookies.
- Bake cookies for 5-6 minutes or until the cookie edges are just lightly browned.
- Transfer cookies to a baking rack and allow o cool before serving.
- Makes 66 cookies or 33 servings.