Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this while looking through a pile of old recipes books that were given to me. Don't put the chicken where the cat or dog can get it. :-)
- Put chicken in a large saucepan and add boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the chicken.
- Cover tightly and simmer until just tender, about 45 - 60 minutes.
- Drain , rinse under cold water and dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- Mix together the vinegar, soy sauce, honey, sherry and syrup.
- Brush this all over the chicken and then hang the chicken in an airy place to dry about 30 minutes.
- Brush again with the remaining soy sauce mixture and hang again for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Mix the flour and salt together and rub well into the chicken skin.
- Deep-fry until golden and crisp.
- Drain well on absorbent paper.
- Chop the chicken into 8 pieces and serve warm with dips.
- CINNAMON DIP Mix together 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper and salt. Put in a small saucepan, heat until very hot, stirring constantly.
- PEPPER AND SALT DIP Mix together 1 Tbsp salt and 1/2 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper.
- Put into a small saucepan and heat, stirring, until the salt begins to brown.
- Serve the dips separately in small alongside a bowl of hoisin sauce (served cold) Guests eat the chicken with their fingers, dipping each piece into the dips and sauce. Place finger bowls of cold water on the table.