Recipe by Keolani
These are long, thin, hard breadsticks that we love. I usually like to put them on the table standing up in a crock just to make things interesting.
Top Review by wingzero_xxxg
Fantastic Recipe! This is now a regular on my baking rotation! For a fantastic variation, follow the recipe but do not add lemon zest, instead add some dried crushed jalapeno or chili pepper & a healthy handfull of your favorite grated cheese right after the first bit of flour is mixed in.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (about 110 degrees f)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crumbled dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water; let stand until foamy, about 5 minute.
- Add lemon zest, salt, rosemary, 2 T. oil, and 1 1/2 cups flour.
- Beat with a heavy spoon or an electric mixer until dough is glossy and stretching 3-5 minute.
- Mix in about 1 cup more flour, or enough to make a soft dough.
- To knead by hand, scrape dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and springy, about 10 minute adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- To knead with a dough hook, beat dough on high speed until it pulls cleanly from sides of bowl and is springy 5-7 minute. If dough is sticky, add flour 1 T. at a time.
- Turn dough out onto a generously floured board.
- Pat into a 6-inch square.
- Brush dough with remaining oil, loosely cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until puffy, about 45 minute.
- Grease 3 large baking sheets.
- Gently rub with 2 T flour.
- With a sharp knife, cut dough lengthwise into quarters.
- Working with one quarter at a time, cut it lenghtwise into 8 equal pieces.
- Stretch one piece to about 15 inches long; place on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining breadsticks, spacing them about 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven 20-25 minute or until golden brown. Rotate baking sheets after 10 minute.
- Cool on rack.
- If you can't cook them all at once, dough can be refrigerated.