Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Gourmet Magazine. Serve with Plum Applesauce.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.
- If necessary, cut off wing tips with poultry shears or a sharp knife. Remove and discard excess fat from body cavity and neck, then rinse duck inside and out. Prick skin all over with a sharp fork. Fold neck skin under body, then put duck, breast side up, on a rack in a 13- by 9- by 3-inch roasting pan.
- Pour boiling-hot water over duck to tighten skin.
- Cool duck, then pour out any water from cavity into pan.
- Pat duck dry inside and out, reserving water in pan, then rub duck inside and out with kosher salt and pepper.
- Roast duck, breast side up, 45 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Turn duck over using 2 wooden spoons, and roast 45 minutes more.
- Turn duck over again (breast side up), tilting duck to drain any liquid from cavity into pan. Continue to roast duck until skin is brown and crisp, about 45 minutes more (total roasting time: about 2 1/4 hours).
- Tilt duck to drain any more liquid from cavity into pan. Transfer duck to a cutting board and let stand 15 minutes before carving. Discard liquid in roasting pan.
Wonderful. The duck was very crispy all the way around. I drained the oil off, then added brandy to the drippings and some peach jam to make the sauce. My guests were very impressed and dinner was wonderful.
Perfect! Super easy, and turned out great! I did it exactly as written.
I followed this recipe exactly and it worked out perfectly and was lovely and crispy. It's a shame that I have discovered that I don't like the taste of duck! My family loved it and asked for more, but due to my own taste I will not rate this as I don't want to give it a bad rating as it was perfect.