Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is good to make at Christmas and give as gifts.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 ounces dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- In sauce pan, combine sugar, margarine, salt and dates.
- Allow to boil for five minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla.
- Fold in crisp rice cereal and nuts.
- While warm, roll into balls and let dry on waxed paper or racks.
- To make balls, butter hand well and keep buttering while you work.
- When cold, roll into confectioners sugar.
usedc light cream instead of butter 1 cup brown sugar to 1/4 cup light cram rolled in coconut
Wow! I haven't made date nut balls for years and wanted to take some to my daughter's annual cookie exchange. They were a hit and several ladies wanted the recipe. I am now ready to make another batch. They are so simple to make and taste wonderful. I used a melon baller to make them. So glad I found this recipe.
Awesome recipe - I have some sitting in the fridge right now waiting for Christmas Day. I've also rolled mine in dessicated coconut instead of icing sugar.