Recipe by 352lillian
The crispy crust and creamy filling are always a hit at my parties. It came out of an old recipe I had for rolled out thin bread slices with assorted filling.
- 32 slices white bread (*)
- 3 cups Simply Potatoes Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper (**)
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water
- vegetable oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line a baking sheet with 2 layers of paper towels. Stack the bread in 8 piles and trim the crusts. Using a rolling pin, roll out each bread slice to a thin 3-by-5-inch rectangle.
- In a bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, cayenne and, if needed, salt and freshly ground pepper. Brush the edges of 4 bread rectangles lightly with the egg yolk mixture. Shape 1 tablespoon of the potato mixture into a log along a long edge of a rectangle, leaving 1/2 inch on each end. Tightly roll up the bread to form a cylinder; press the ends together to seal. Repeat with the remaining bread and potato mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat and it shimmers. Add enough rolls to make a layer with a little space between each. Fry, turning occasionally, until well-browned, about 1-1/2 minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined baking sheet and place in oven. Repeat with the remaining rolls. Serve hot as an appetizer or buffet.
- * You’ll need the squishy kind of sliced bread, not the sturdy home-style kind.
- ** Taste the filling before adding salt and pepper. It might be good to your taste without adding any more.