Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great recipe for using up those leftover mashed potatoes. Really delicious and easy.
Make and share this Crisp Potato Cake With a Surprise Inside recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄3 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 lb gruyere or 1⁄4 lb horseradish cheddar cheese or 1⁄4 lb edam cheese or 1⁄4 lb jalapeno jack cheese, etc, cut into 1/3-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups idaho potatoes, peeled, coarsely shredded (Yukon Gold potatoes work as well)
- salt and pepper
- 1 thin green onion, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop up 1/3 cup of mashed potatoes, press a slice of cheese in the center and pat the mashed potatoes around the cheese to enclose it.
- Flatten the potato cake slightly.
- Repeat with the remaining potatoes and cheese.
- In a medium skillet, (cast-iron is best), melt the butter in the oil over high heat.
- When fat begins to brown, carefully scoop two 1/2-cup mounds of shredded potato into the skillet; flatten them with a spatula and season with salt and pepper.
- Top each with a mashed potato round and cover with another 1/2 cup of the shredded potatoes. Lightly press the shredded potato into the mashed potato.
- Season with salt and pepper, reduce the heat to low and cook, turning once, until the cakes are crisp and golden, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the potato cakes to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- Repeat to make the remaining 2 cakes.
- Plate the potato cakes and sprinkle with the chopped green onion.
- Serve hot.
- If you are tempted to use frozen hash browns, don't. I tried it and was sadly disappointed with the results.