LisaAnne G's Note:
This was passed down to me from my mother and it is just great!! My 6 year old son and his friends love it! It is great on the side with burgers or BBQ sandwiches and baked beans. I also like it as a snack. The purple cabbage makes it look so pretty, but you can also use just one type of cabbage(one type of vinegar may be used as well). Also, if you like it hot, try putting in a sliced jalapeno pepper or put some Tabasco sauce in it when you serve it. This recipe makes a lot, but it's ok because it keeps so well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Finely shred the 2 different color cabbages(I use a mandolin, but a very sharp knife does just fine).
- 2Slice the peppers thinly and chop into small pieces.
- 3Cut the onion into 4 pieces.
- 4Thinly slice the four pieces and separate into slices.
- 5Finely julienne the 2 carrots(or more if desired) and cut into small pieces or grate them on a grater.
- 6Place all the chopped and shredded vegetables into a large bowl.
- 7In a small saucepan combine the sugar, vinegars, salt and celery seed.
- 8Bring to a boil.
- 9Boil for 3 minutes.
- 10Pour the hot vinegar over the shredded and chopped vegetables.
- 11Combine well.
- 12Transfer into large jars to store in the refrigerator.
- 13Cool before serving.
- 14This keeps for a very, very long time in the frig and actually gets better after "pickling" for several days.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crisp Pickled Cole Slaw
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 66.6
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 97.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: