Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This was passed down to me from my mother and it is just great!! My 6 year old son and his friends love it! It is great on the side with burgers or BBQ sandwiches and baked beans. I also like it as a snack. The purple cabbage makes it look so pretty, but you can also use just one type of cabbage(one type of vinegar may be used as well). Also, if you like it hot, try putting in a sliced jalapeno pepper or put some Tabasco sauce in it when you serve it. This recipe makes a lot, but it's ok because it keeps so well.
- Finely shred the 2 different color cabbages(I use a mandolin, but a very sharp knife does just fine).
- Slice the peppers thinly and chop into small pieces.
- Cut the onion into 4 pieces.
- Thinly slice the four pieces and separate into slices.
- Finely julienne the 2 carrots(or more if desired) and cut into small pieces or grate them on a grater.
- Place all the chopped and shredded vegetables into a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan combine the sugar, vinegars, salt and celery seed.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Pour the hot vinegar over the shredded and chopped vegetables.
- Combine well.
- Transfer into large jars to store in the refrigerator.
- Cool before serving.
- This keeps for a very, very long time in the frig and actually gets better after "pickling" for several days.
My family really prefers mayo based slaw. Also, my red cabbage was tough. So no problems with this recipe, just not the right one for us!