Recipe by Mercy Varghese
Here is a quick and easy okra recipe that goes very well with rice or as a side to any meal. I'd like to think this is an original recipe because I have not seen it mentioned anywhere, its been in our family for years.
Top Review by antsy
Yum! So I substituted sour cream for the yogurt and only used salt and pepper (sadly the only spices I have at the moment) and still it was super yummy. This will definitely be a go to recipe in the future.
- 1 lb sliced okra (the frozen Cut Okra pack will also do, but prefer thinner slices)
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons oil (peanut, vegetable or light olive)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a pan, add okra and shallow fry on very low heat for about 30 mins, tossing occasionally, till the okra looses its water content and becomes dark brown and crisp.
- Add cumin and coriander powder and fry for another 5 mins, add cayenne pepper and salt, toss and fry for another minute or so.
- Take pan off the heat, let it cool slightly, the okra should now be crunchy.
- Whip the yogurt to a smooth consistency, add okra from the pan and mix nicely.
- Serve immediately.