Recipe by mailbelle
Cheddar cheese, bacon, and a panko coating make these a satisfying side dish. From Cooking Light.
Top Review by bmcnichol
I have always struggled making potato cakes but this recipe was easy to make and my cakes held together. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't add the green onions as I didn't have any. Our plans changed for the evening so I had to use what I had on hand.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cups mashed potatoes, chilled
- 2 tablespoons shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add green onions to pan and cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Place mashed potatoes in a medium bowl. Stir in onions, cheese, salt, pepper, and bacon. Divide potato mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Place panko in a shallow dish. Dredge patties in panko.
- Place patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 12 minutes. Carefully turn patties over and bake for an additional 12 minutes or until golden.