Cheddar cheese, bacon, and a panko coating make these a satisfying side dish. From Cooking Light.
Make and share this Crisp Mashed Potato Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add green onions to pan and cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Place mashed potatoes in a medium bowl. Stir in onions, cheese, salt, pepper, and bacon. Divide potato mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Place panko in a shallow dish. Dredge patties in panko.
- Place patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 12 minutes. Carefully turn patties over and bake for an additional 12 minutes or until golden.
I have always struggled making potato cakes but this recipe was easy to make and my cakes held together. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't add the green onions as I didn't have any. Our plans changed for the evening so I had to use what I had on hand.
We loved these! This is so easy and quick to prepare. I made my mashed potatoes nice and thick. They held up great and did get nice and crispy. I made them as posted and they cooked fine in the allotted time. We enjoyed the mixture of flavors. Thanks for posting. :)
I made this last night for my DH and he loved it! I lightly pan fried the patties because I was in a bit of a hurry and they turned out delicious. I just love Panko crumbs, thanks for a keeper recipe!