Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Dollie
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind or 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- additional sugar
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar.
- Add the egg, milk and extracts. Combine the flour, salt, leon rind, and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Immediately remove to wire racks to cool.
A good but not great cookie. I was hoping for more lemon flavour, and this just didn't do it. I did use all butter rather then the shortening, but it was still tough.
You just can't beat a cookie with lemon in it. I didn't have Lemon extract, so I used the juice of a real lemon. these are so yummy! (I had em for breakfast) :) Thanks Lori!