Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Savoury appetizers - posted by request
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drain and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces neufchatel cheese or 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup prepared mustard
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil
- Combine sausage and onion in a large pan; cook until sausage is browned, stirring for it to crumble- drain well.
- Stir in sauerkraut and 2 tbsp breadcrumbs.
- Combine 8 ounces cheese, parsley, 1 tsp mustard, garlic powder and pepper in a large bowl; add sausage mixture, stirring well.
- Cover and let stand for 2 hours.
- Combine mayonnaise and ¼ cup mustard; set aside.
- Combine eggs and milk in a small bowl; set aside.
- Shape sausage mixture into ¾ balls; roll in flour.
- Dip each ball in reserved egg mixture; roll balls in breadcrumbs.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2" into a deep skillet; heat to 375F degrees.
- Fry, a few at a time, for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve with mayonnaise mixture.
I used turkey sausage in palce of the pork. They were awesome!
I made this recipe last night, and oh so good, but very, very rich. I messed up and forgot to buy cream cheese, so left that out and had to add more bread crumbs to the mixture to get it to stick together, will try with cream cheese next time. Also doubled recipe, and cut back on the sauerkraut. Very tasty, yummy recipe.